Ok, just think about our job for a moment. We recruiters have to spend hours sifting through CVs to try to find that diamond.
To be honest, after a couple of hours we may glaze over when we shouldn’t. We may itch to refill the kettle, to have another game of online scrabble, to flick the screen to facebook. ‘How rude!’ we hear you cry ‘How can I stop you?’.
Here’s our top tips (and it doesn’t involve writing drivel like ‘I am hungry like the wolf’ on your cv!).
- CUSTOMISE YOUR CV – It’s basic, but reading the job advert thoroughly and tailoring your cv to highlight the relevant matching requirements is an instant win.
- FORMAT YOUR CV – It doesn’t need to be flashy but a clean, clear format can really help bring out the right information. We’d recommend having a look at online CV templates on websites such as www.totaljobs.com or www. reed.co.uk.
- LIST YOUR ACHIEVEMENTS – Now is not the time to be reserved! Tell us what you are most proud of from your previous roles, whether it’s an increase in sales of x% or managing a successful transition. Again, make it relevant to the role you are applying for.
- PROFILE – Put your profile under your name and contact details. Make sure it summarises the key skills that are relevant to the job.
- LANGUAGE – Just like the format, not flashy (please no jargon, we’re allergic unless it joins our buzzword bingo game). Clean, concise and avoiding overuse of the word ‘passionate’ is what we’re looking for.
If you’d like a few more tips, please see our CV Hints and Tips page. Right, anyone for a cuppa…?!